Super Iron Pan Caring Tips
We’ve talked about the features of Super Iron (if you haven’t checked, please visit HERE), and you know Super Iron is much easier to take care compared to the usual iron pans. However, it’s still an iron pan so you cannot treat it same as the other coated pans. So let us share some tips to use and maintain your Super Iron pan to make it last for a long time :)
When you use it for the first time, please wash the pan with kitchen detergent and season it. Seasoning is a necessary process to prevent ingredients from sticking to your pan. Please season your pan before first-time use and when you wash your pan with detergent.
How to Season your Super Iron Pan
- Pour 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a pan (1-2 tablespoons for small pans or egg pan) and heat it for about 3 minutes with low heat (in the case of induction cooker, heat it for 2 minutes with [weak] 300 to 400 W).
- Stop the fire and move the oil to another container.
- Use kitchen paper to rub the remaining oil to the pan.
- Preheat the frying pan well with medium heat. * As a guide for the preheating time, if it’s a small pan or egg pan, 30 seconds to 1 minute at medium heat, and 1-2 minutes at medium heat for a pan bigger than 9.45” (In case of induction cooker, please use it under the power of about 500 to 700 W.)
- Pour the oil to the pan just the amount you need for cooking, and spread it all over the pan with kitchen paper. * Please season oil well especially when it’s several times at the beginning of use.
- Start cooking with low to medium heat.
Some Tips For Cooking
✔ Heat the pan well at first, and apply oil to the surface well. The more you use the iron pan, the more oil gets seasoned to the surface, and ingredients will not stick to the pan.
✔ Low to medium heat is pretty enough for cooking. Please be careful not to make your pan too hot. Especially when using an induction cooker, high heat may cause deformation.
✔ When it seems ingredients getting burnt, please stop the fire (remove the pan from the heat source) and cook it with the residual heat.
✔ When the ingredients stick to the pan in the middle of cooking, please lower the fire because the temperature is too high.
✔ Seasonings such as soy sauce may cause sticking to the pan, so when you make fried rice etc, pour the seasoning at the end and finish it quickly.
✔ Depending on the ingredients, if the fire is too strong, only the surface will get burnt. For dishes such as pancakes, where you want to heat it through to the inside, after warming the frying pan, drop the heat to the low or the extremely low heat and cook it.
About the discoloration of the surface
* When using strong acid/alkaline ingredients (such as tomatoes, orange, and lemon, etc) and seasoning (vinegar, ketchup, sauce, wine, salt, soy sauce etc.) the black color of the Pan (Oxide film) may be discolored or the ingredients may turn blackish. Please move the cooked dish to another container as soon as possible. Also, please do not leave the pan for long after use and wash it as soon as possible.
* When you cook harshness ingredients (such as lotus root, burdock, spinach, eggplant, beans etc), "Tannin" contained in the ingredients reacts with iron and ingredients may be discolored darker. There is no harm when you eat it, but please move the cooked food to another container as soon as you can.
* When the surface of the pan has discolored from black to a whitish color (this means the oxide film is peeled off), wash the pan and please season it well with the oil as you use it for the first time.
After cooking, please wash the pan with warm water with a sponge, kitchen brush, bamboo shoot and so on while the pan is still warm.
You would not need detergent for regular maintenance because the oil seasoned to the pan is washed away if you use detergent.
After washing, wipe off the water, dry it well, and please store the pan in a place without humidity.
* Please do not use dishwasher and dish dryer. Depending on the detergent used, it may cause corrosion or discoloration.
✔ In case of burning and serious dirt When the pan gets burnt, boil water with the pan to make the burning soft, and rub the burned part with bamboo shoots, palm scrub or a little hard sponge to take out the burnt part. If the oil stains are severe, please wash it with kitchen detergent. After you take off the burnt/dirt, please season the pan again as you use it for the first time.
✔ When the pan gets rusting Please rub the rust with scrub. If the rust is severe, please put the cleanser on a sponge or scrub and rub it off. After you take off the rust, please season the pan again as you use it for the first time.
✔ When discoloration is caused by ingredients such as acid and alkali Please clean the frying pan and season the oil well again. Before use, preheat the pan with medium heat for 1 minute, and apply the oil well. It gradually returns to the original color by repeated use.
✔ After using the pan for Steaming/Boiling If these kinds of cooking are carried out, the oil film made on the pan surface will partly be peeled off by hot water. So after cooking, please wash and dry thoroughly while the pan is still warm. When using the pan again, please make sure to apply the oil well.
Enjoy cooking with great cooking tools!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.